DIY & Do-Overs!

Starting mid-summer, I decided to take on making my own products as opposed to buying them, since I started realizing they were a cheaper (and more satisfying) option. After a few tutorials on my favorite blogs and SO many on pinterest, I decided to try a few that I thought would come in the most handy, being that I'm in college and need all the money I can get!

First off, I found this AMAZING creation called chalkboard paint, thanks to Little Baby Garvin!
 
It looked so easy, so I went out and got some paint and my partner in crime and fiance, Jason, found me some metal so I could make it magnetic. I was so excited!
After painting about half of the board, we realized that this might not work out like we planned. The paint we decided to get was extremely thick but wouldn't even cover the board. After three coats, we found it would also be too heavy for the wall I intended to use it on. Typically.
So, the next day, we decided to try something different, and much more practical. 
 Spray paint. Chalkboard spray paint. Instead of using metal this time, we decided on cardboard. 
This time, with a rougher surface, primer, and a much easier way of painting, we came up with MUCH better results. Just add a frame and viola!
Now that I have this chalkboard paint, I am seriously covering everything I possibly can! There are so many good uses! I painted the inside of the cupboard and I even made a board for my sister. I can't wait to paint the Mason Jars and eventually make a whole wall!
I usually use mine for quotes and lyrics to get myself through until I can use mine like she used hers! 
Yes, mine's much less professional, but for a college student, it's not half bad!
There's something much more satisfying in creating something yourself.

Some more of my favorite DIY projects I've done are:

Glitter Nail Polish!
All I had to do was get $1 clear nail polish and add some cheap glitter! I used three different color glitters in each bottle for a more fun look and realized that the lighter colors sank to the bottom for some reason!
The clear color also changes into the color of the glitter but doesn't fade the glitter!
Amazing!

My Wonderful Earring Hanger!
I had two very special little helpers (as usual) to get this job done!
You met the one, (above) but not our baby!
This is Sofia. She's more of a supervisor than a helper!

For this project, I found an old picture frame, bought some chain, some eyelet hooks, and a pretty piece of pink tissue paper! We put the eyelet hooks into the side of the frame to hang three rows of chain to hang my earrings on and then put two hooks at the top with some chain so it would be easy to hang. After finishing the frame, I slipped the tissue paper under the glass and put it together, with my earrings and all, and decided to put on a Cinderella's Glass Slipper decal for some extra fun!
It's so much easier to 
1. Find my earrings
2. Display them
&
3. Make sure that I actually wear them!
When I have something sitting out, I'm much more likely to wear it. If it's hidden away, I barely take the time to look and sometimes even forget I have some of the things I do have!
It really helps prevent me from buying the same types of earrings over and over again. 
 Not to mention, these things all just look so darn pretty!

signature-2

No comments